How to Name Your Business
It's essential to understand how valuable a great business name can be for your company or brand. Investing your time and resources into selecting the right name for your company will make all the difference in the world so choose wisely. Here are some tips to keep in mind while using our business name generator.
Make it memorable
It's a bad sign if customers have to constantly ask you for the name of your company. You want a name that is catchy and memorable so it stays on top of people's minds. Shorter brand names are generally easier to remember.
A great product or service alone just won't cut it when there are millions of businesses competing for customer attention around the world. A unique and distinct brand name can help your company stand out from the crowd.
Evoke a feeling
Humans are emotional creatures that primarily rely on their feelings to make decisions. Your customers will care about how your business name makes them feel so evoke a feeling inside them that coincides with your brand image.
Test it out
Don't keep the name you like a secret. Mention it to your friends, family, or coworkers for feedback. Ask for their first impression because that's likely what your customers will be thinking about when they hear your business name.
Get the domain
In today's tech-savvy world, it's crucial to have a domain that matches your company name because a lot of your customers will visit your website. Use our business name generator
to find names that come pre-packaged with a domain and logo.
Check for conflicts
Before you commit to a name, check to see if there are any other companies using it especially those in the same industry. Follow that up with a quick trademark search
. Make sure there aren't any potential conflicts before moving forward.
Choosing the right company name can feel overwhelming and frustrating at times but we're here to help. Our marketplace has thousands of brand names available for your next business, startup, product, or service idea. So what are you waiting for? Start generating business names now!
Frequently Asked Questions
How does the business name generator work?
Simply enter a keyword that best describes your brand into the search field above and the business name generator will generate hundreds, if not thousands, of possibilities for you. The unique thing about our business name generator is that every name generated comes pre-packaged with a domain and logo.
How much does the business name generator cost?
The business name generator is completely free to use and you can generate as many names as you like.
How important is a business name?
Most new entrepreneurs don't think about their business name too much but it's a big deal. Choosing the right name for your business is as crucial as naming your newborn. Just like how an awkward name can make your child's life unnecessarily complicated, a bad business name can stifle your company's growth. Don't believe it? Check out this list of famous companies that all ended up changing their names:
- Cadabra » Amazon
- Sound of Music » Best Buy
- Research in Motion » Blackberry
- AuctionWeb » eBay
- BackRub » Google
- DrivUrSelf » Hertz
- Burbn » Instagram
- Blue Ribbon Sports » Nike
- Japan Optical Industries Co. » Nikon
- Marafuku Company » Nintendo
- Brad's Drink » Pepsi
- Stag Party » Playboy
- Sky Peer-to-Peer » Skype
- Unadulterated Food Products » Snapple
- Tokyo Tsushin Kogyo » Sony
- Cargo House » Starbucks
- Pete's Super Submarines » Subway
- Goodfellow's Dry Goods » Target
- Walton's Five and Dime » Walmart
- Jerry's Guide to the World Wide Web » Yahoo
How do I come up with a catchy business name?
"Catchiness" is somewhat of a subjective matter, but great names are always easy to remember. Unique, clever, yet familiar ideas often perform the best. And of course, short names are better, all other factors being equal. They're easier to remember. They're easier to type. They're harder to misspell and/or mispronounce. And they can even save you money on your marketing and advertising campaigns.
Why does my domain name matter?
It's because your domain name has such a huge impact in so many areas of your business like these:
- Authority and Reputation: Your domain is often the first element of your business a potential customer will see. They'll notice your website in search results or see it in a marketing campaign. Accordingly, they'll form a first impression of your business based on the quality of your domain. If it seems uninspired or cheap, it's not going to land well. But if you have a short and catchy domain, it's immediately going to make your company look better.
- Memorability: Existing customers can bookmark your site for easier recall later, but you still need to overcome the hurdle of getting the first visit. After seeing an ad for your website, or hearing it in a discussion with a friend, a person will have to remember your domain to use it effectively. Memorable, easy to type domains tend to attract far more visitors as a result.
- Clarity and Knowledge: Oftentimes, a domain lets people know what your business is about. A random string of characters like afdhuioxuou.com means absolutely nothing. But a domain like Cars.com immediately tells you something; this website is in the automotive industry, and it probably sells cars. This can help people figure out what you do faster and more reliably.
- Ease of Use: How easy is it to type your domain name and visit your website? How easy is it to talk about? If it's hard to spell, if it's hard to pronounce, or if it can be butchered easily, your business is going to have a much harder time building more visibility and recognition.
- Search Engine Optimization: Your domain also has an impact on your success in search engine optimization (SEO). In case you aren't familiar, SEO is a collection of strategies meant to help you rank higher in search engine results pages (SERPs). A successful SEO strategy will increase your rankings, helping you earn more brand visibility and therefore, more traffic. The right domain name can help you optimize for specific keywords and phrases searched by your target audience, making it easier to rank in competitive pages.
- Marketing and Advertising: Effective domains can also greatly increase the potential of your marketing and advertising campaigns. If your domain is short and easy to spell, it's going to be easier to brand and feature as the centerpiece of your marketing collateral. If it's catchy and memorable, it's going to do the heavy lifting in your ad. Accordingly, a good domain can instantly multiply the results of any marketing campaign.
Why are domain names so expensive?
You might be skeptical about the real value of a domain name. You might think, it's just an address to your website; it doesn't affect your core brand, your products, or your services. But it doesn't take much research to see just how valuable domains are. It's true that you can pick up a basic domain for just a few dollars, but the best domains in the world are highly sought after by experienced entrepreneurs, thus driving up the price significantly. Why? Because they know just how important and valuable the right domain can be for their business. You may find it surprising but the domain Voice.com was sold in 2019 for $30 million, one of the largest publicly reported sales of all time. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Check out our list of top domain sales
How can I check for trademark conflicts around a name?
You can use our trademark search engine
to perform free basic searches yourself. However, trademarks are a complicated subject so we recommend talking to a trademark attorney. For instance, you may still be able to use a name even if it's trademarked if your business is in a different industry.
Where can I get additional help if I still have questions?
Get in touch
with our support team at any time. We're always happy to help!